Thursday, July 31, 2008

Thoughts

I attended a funeral today. It was bittersweet. It is always sad to our flesh when we lose a loved one, but it is always a joy to know that one who has lived faithfully for the Lord has gone Home to be with Him. A flood of memories washed through my mind today as I sat and listened to the man's children tell of the funny things he always said to them (like "What is the square root of pi? Pi is not square. Everybody knows pies are round. Cornbread is square."). I knew this man in my childhood and through a few of my adult years. I laughed and cried as I thought of the years and the distance. Amazingly enough, despite years and differences, our families have a connecting thread, a bond that cannot be severed.

I had a neat memory. Once my parents were out of town (and my sister was away at school), and I stayed with this family. They had kids younger than I and one older. I always had fun with their kids. In the night I was awake and wished I were home. I was not afraid - but not at home. I got up and walked down the hall. There was a dim light in the living room, and I wanted to go in there. I don't know why. When I got to the doorway, I saw the lady of the house on her knees and heard her praying. Yes, she was a prayer warrior. I did not want to disturb her, but I wanted very much to go in there and just sit -- bask in the Lord's presence. I felt at home there. My mother prayed; my daddy prayed; my grandmother prayed; that eased my homesickness. I was afraid I would disturb her, so I walked back to bed and went to sleep. I thank God everytime I remember her praying.

I wrote a little song quite a few years ago that says,

There is no place like the presence of the Lord.
There is no place like the presence of the Lord.
Such blessings He affords
When we meet in one accord.
There is no place like the presence of the Lord.

It is only fitting that I feel at home in the presence of the Lord. I have a godly mother who was living so close to the Lord when she was pregnant with me, that I believe I was born in the presence of the Lord. And I am convinced I will die in the presence of the Lord. When I am absent from my body and present with Him, I will evermore be at Home in His presence.

I thank God for this heritage.

"We have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us." 2 Cor. 4:7

1 comment:

Catherine Rogers said...

Romans 8:11 (New King James Version)-
"But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you."

(I Peter 1-3 RVS)-
"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to his great mercy begat us again unto a living hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, unto an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you..."

Thank God for precious memories of those who have gone on before us, who instilled in us a desire to live a Godly life. We are blessed. How we cherish them, and long for that day when we will all join together in one voice singing a song of redemption. Oh how I long for that day.