Friday, July 18, 2008

The Last Word

IN Luke 24:10 & 11, when "Mary Magdalene, Joanna, Mary the mother of James, and the other women that were with them" returned from the empty tomb, they told the apostles all about what they had seen: the angel (and what he said) and the empty tomb. Don't you know they probably ran the whole way and were all out of breath when they delivered the first resurrection message! You know how it is when you are really excited about something that you just have to tell? And you know how it is when you have run so hard you can't talk? That is the way I imagine it.
"And their words seemed to them as idle tales, and they believed them not" (vs 11). WOW! Talk about bursting a balloon! The Greek word for these "idle tales" is leros, which means silly nonsense. I use a Dake Bible, and Dake says that this word leros is only used here and "is a medical term for delirium."
This reminds me a little of Sarah's laughter when she heard the Lord say that she would have a child (Gen. 18). The Lord asked Abraham why Sarah laughed. He said to Abraham, "Is anything too hard for the Lord" (vs. 14)?
I must declare to all who hear me (or read me): Nothing is too hard for my God. He holds time in His hands. He created the air I breathe, the sun, the Earth, and everything on it. If He promised you something, He will deliver.
Financial difficulty does not have the last word.
Divorce does not have the last word.
Infertility does not have the last word.
Sorrow does not have the last word.
Depression does not have the last word.
Pain does not have the last word.
Cancer does not have the last word.
Death does not have the last word.
Only God will have the last word. So look your problem in the face and tell it so. Somebody in your hearing might think you are delirious. It won't be the first time. But did the apostles' doubts hold Jesus in the tomb? NO! Why? Because God has the last word. When God says it is, then it is. No doubt about it.
God said Sarah would have a child, and she did.
God said Jesus would be resurrected, and He was.
God said He would send me children, and He did!
I could go on, but there is no need. The rest is up to you. I don't know what God has said to you. I only know that whatever it is, He will bring it to pass! Because He, and only He, has the last word.